Claim: The picture shows Hunter Biden’s painting “Trump Cheated on Democrats”
It has been eight months since Election Day, and some Republicans are still falsely claiming that the 2020 election was stolen from former President Donald Trump through widespread voter fraud in states he has lost.
Following Trump’s speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Dallas – in which he repeatedly exposed exposed election fraud – claims resurfaced on social media that “Democrats had been betrayed.”
On July 16, Trump’s son Eric went to Facebook to share an alleged picture of Hunter Biden, the son of President Joe Biden, and painted a sign that read “TRUMP WON DEMOCRATS CHEATED”.
In a matter of hours, his mail garnered more than 30,000 reactions and 4,000 shares. USA TODAY has asked the Trump Organization for a comment.
The same image also found its way onto meme sites and Reddit, headed “Hunter Biden’s Latest Artwork”.
But the picture has changed, and Joe Biden legally won the 2020 presidential election no matter how many people say otherwise.
Fact check: Biden doesn’t want to monitor private texts for misinformation about vaccines
Picture is changed
The photo circulating online has been manipulated from an authentic image of Hunter Biden painting a blue abstract piece of art.
The original photo first appeared in an Artnet News article on June 14 about Biden’s painting career and selling his art after battling addiction. The outlet reported that his work includes elements of poetry, geometric abstractions, painting, and photography.
The manipulated version of the photo on social media superimposed the words “TRUMP WON DEMOCRATS CHEATED” on Biden’s painting and added white paint to the brush he used.
In a February 2020 interview with the New York Times, Biden said art was something he “has taken seriously for a long time, but was not necessarily intended for public consumption.”
Fact check: Biden is still weighing options for student loan debt relief
When it became known that his work was going up for sale in a New York gallery this fall for $ 75,000 to $ 500,000, critics raised ethical concerns and suggested that his art wouldn’t be as expensive if he had a different surname.
Biden won the presidential election
Not only has the picture changed, it is also falsely claimed that Trump won the 2020 presidential election.
Joe Biden beat Trump with over 7 million votes. He secured a total of 306 votes against 232 Trumps. Candidates must win 270 votes to be elected president.
Claims that dead people vote, more votes than eligible voters, and “flawed” electoral systems were exposed along with other fraudulent elections. A series of recounts and electoral audits in one state after another have confirmed that the votes were accurately recorded.
In addition, election security officials called the 2020 elections “the safest in American history.”
There was no evidence of election fraud in Biden’s favor, and courts in battlefield states have dismissed several Trump campaign charges of alleged election fraud.
Fact check: Incorrect comparison made between California and Arizona signature matching
Congress confirmed Biden’s victory, and then-Vice President Mike Pence officially declared Biden the winner on Jan. 6 after a deadly pro-Trump riot took place in the U.S. Capitol.
Our rating: Changed
An image claiming to show Hunter Biden painting “Trump Won Democrats Cheated” has been CHANGED based on our research. The original photo shows him creating an abstract painting, and the image was manipulated by someone to make it appear like he was writing that Trump won the election. Claims that Trump won have been debunked repeatedly, and Joe Biden legally won the 2020 election. There is no evidence of widespread electoral fraud.
Our fact check sources:
- USA TODAY, 12/15/2020, fact check: Joe Biden legally won the presidential election despite persistent claims to the contrary
- USA TODAY, December 8, 2020, Trump lost the 2020 presidential election
- Artnet, June 14th tweet
- Artnet, June 14th, We spoke to Hunter Biden about his life as a full-time artist and his personal search for “universal truth” through painting ‘
- George BergÃ¨s Gallery, accessed July 16, Hunter Biden
- The New York Times, February 28, 2020, There’s a new artist in town. The name is Biden.
- Washington Post, July 8th Deal of the art: White House grapples with the ethics of Hunter Biden’s award paintings
- USA TODAY Jan 26, 2020 Election Results & Maps
- U.S. TODAY, Nov 8, 2020 fact check: No evidence 14,000 dead in Wayne County, Michigan cast their vote
- USA TODAY, November 8, 2020, fact check: States have no more than 100% voter turnout in an election
- USA TODAY, Nov 10, 2020 fact check: Wisconsin County didn’t have a glitch that stole Trump votes
- USA TODAY, November 17th, 2020, What’s True About 2020 Elections, Vote Counting, Electoral College
- US TODAY, Nov 12, 2020, Election Security Officials: “No Evidence of Electoral Systems Compromised”
- USA TODAY, Jan. 7, Congress confirms Biden’s election victory in electoral college
- Washington Post, Jan. 7, Pence declares Biden presidential election winner after Congress finally counts the votes
Thank you for supporting our journalism. Here you can subscribe to our print edition, the ad-free app or the electronic newspaper replica.
Our fact-checking work is partially supported by a grant from Facebook.